This blog attempts to collate various materials in connection with the year 1735.


Jesse Ramsden

Jesse Ramsden was born October 6, 1735 (he died November 5, 1800). He was an English astronomical and scientific instrument maker.
Born at Salterhebble near Halifax, West Yorkshire, after serving his apprenticeship with a cloth-worker in Halifax, he went in 1755 to London. In 1758 he was apprenticed to a mathematical instrument maker. About four years later he started his own business and secured a great reputation.
He created one of the first high-quality dividing engines. This led to his speciality in dividing circles, which began to supersede the quadrants in observatories towards the end of the 18th century. His most celebrated work was a 5-feet vertical circle, finished in 1789 and used by Giuseppe Piazzi at Palermo in constructing his catalogue of stars. He was the first to carry out in practice a method of reading off angles by measuring the distance of the index from the nearest division line by means of a micrometer screw which moves one or two fine threads placed in the focus of a microscope.
Ramsden's transit instruments were the first which were illuminated through the hollow axis; the idea was suggested to him by Prof. Henry Ussher in Dublin. He published a Description of an Engine for dividing Mathematical Instruments in 1777.
Ramsden is also responsible for the achromatic eyepiece named after him, and also worked on new designs of electrostatic generators. He was elected to the Royal Society in 1786. The exit pupil of an eyepiece was once called the Ramsden disc in his honour.
In about 1785, he provided a new large theodolite for General William Roy of the Royal Engineers, which was used for a new survey of the distance between Greenwich, London and Paris. This work provided the basis for the subsequent Ordnance Survey of the counties of Britain. With Roy he received the Copley Medal in 1795 and died five years later at Brighton.

Lyme Regis

Situated in Lyme Regis and built in 1735, for the Dowager Countess Poulett and later the home of the Duc du Stacpoole, the Alexandra became an hotel in 1901. It stands in magnificent grounds overlooking the sea and the famous Cobb harbour.

Carlo Ginori

Today Richard-Ginori is one of the world leading manufacturers of luxury tableware. They deal in genuine chinaware, combining a mixture of tradition with advanced technologies, seeking highest quality in its products.
The story of Richard-Ginori manufacturing started just outside the city of Florence in the village of Doccia when 35 year old Carlo Ginori decided to bring to Florence the magnificence of the Medicean artistic tradition. It was 1735, when the rich families of Europe collected rare porcelain pieces fired in the kilns of Vienna and Meissen, that Carlo Ginori began his admirable adventure. Recruiting the best workers of the Saxon manufacturers, the Doccia firm asserted itself from the start with the extremely fine quality of its products. After 1735, the activity continued, increasing the production and making use of the creativity of a variety of collaborators. At the end of the following century the Ginori family handed the factory over to the Milanese industrialist Augusto Richard, the owner of a ceramic business in Milan. The present company was born from this merger. More here.