This blog attempts to collate various materials in connection with the year 1735.


Wesley's Journal 03

Monday 20 [October], Believing the denying ourselves even in the smallest instances, might, by the blessing of God be helpful to us, we wholly left off the use of flesh and wine, and confined ourselves to vegetable food, chiefly rice and bisket. In the afternoon David Nitchman, bishop of the Moravians, and two others began to learn English. O may we be, not only of one tongue, but of one mind and of one heart!

Wesley's Journal 02

Friday 17 [October], I began to learn German, in order to converse with the Moravians, six and twenty of whom we had on board. On Sunday, the weather being fair and calm, we had the morning-service on quarter deck. I now first preached extempore, and then administered the Lord's Supper to six or seven communicants, A little flock. May God increase it !
This is a replica of a desk chair from around 1735 found here.



Theoretically a degree of latitude is a constant, the same at the equator as at the pole. However, Isaac Newton believed that the earth was slightly flattened at the poles, an oblate spheroid, and that the length of a degree at the poles was longer than it was at the equator. On the other hand French mathematicians argued either for a perfect sphere or for a prolate spheroid, one which bulged at the poles.
The French Royal Academy of Sciences determined to settle the matter by sending expeditions to the Equator and to the Arctic Circle. If the length of a degree were longer at the Arctic Circle than at the Equator the spheroid would be oblate, flat at the poles; if it were shorter, prolate, and if the degrees were equal, then the earth would be spherical.
In 1735 the French Royal Academy of Sciences sent out two geodetic expeditions to determine the length of a degree at the pole and at the equator. The expedition to the Arctic Circle was under the leadership of Pierre-Louis Moreau de Maupertuis went to the Arctic Circle. The one to the Equator had Charles Marie de La Condamine (see pic) as its chronicler. Near Quito, in what is now Ecuador, a base line was established by triangulation, and the length of the degree of latitude was measured.

Ruth Dunster

Ruth Dunster, daughter of Henry and Martha Dunster, died in 1735 at 1 year, 9 months. In her grave, her sister Elizabeth, age 4 months, lies next to her. A grave nearby reveals another tragically young death and refers to a larger historical context: "Beneath this tomb rests the remains of Mr. Jon Hughes, only son of Mr. John Hughes of Norwich in Connecticut. He died in his Country's Cause July 25th AD 1775 in Ye 21st Year of his Age." Henry Dunster was the son of Henry Dunster, Harvard's founding president who is buried nearby.

Ch'en Shu

This work entitled New Year's Day was produced in 1735 using ink and colours on paper. It is by Ch'en Shu (1660-1736) adn is Qing Dynasty. Ch'en Shu was a native of Hsiu-shui in Chekiang Province, China. She was noted for her paintings of flowers, birds, insects and grasses and landscapes. Her brush was strong and vigorous and possessed the spirit of the antique. This scroll was painted when she was 75.

Porcelain Factory

In the year 1735, Baron Rudolf Johann of Wrisberg (picture), who was engaged at the time as the President of the Upper Court of Appeal in Celle, commisioned his administrator, Rasch, with looking into the possibility of setting up a "pipe factory". While nothing ever came of this pipe production, because of the lack of the necessary kaolin, nontheless clay deposits were discovered in the process, and tests revealed that this clay was suitable for fayence production. Since the surrounding forests belonging to the estate provided sufficient quantities of fuel for running a kiln, Rudolf Johann of Wrisberg decided to set up a large fayence factory.

The following year the buildings of the "porcellain factory" were erected in the kitchen garden northwest of the castle by the Untere Dorfstraße in Wrisbergholzen in Germany.


Winchester, VA

This marker is found in Winchester, Virginia, USA, and was erected in 2003. It refers to Lord Fairfax arriving in America 'about 1735'. For more see here.